Wednesday, July 23, 2008

gigo

i've just returned from an evening at foodshare, where i'm a volunteer. i normally put in some quiet,pensive and labour-intensive time in the compost yard, but tonight the garden crew were harvesting and cleaning up the vegetable garden and holding a potluck, so i brought some rhubarb sqauares and lent a hand. i got to eat some pretty good food and meet some pretty interesting people.

afterwards, i had to hurry on over to my pickup point for my good food box, which i get from foodshare for my volunteer efforts. i love this in theory. it's a symbiotic relationship between the organization, the volunteer and the local produce growers. in practice, though, this usually ends up being more beneficial to my compost bin (and, ultimately, my garden) than it is for me, as i end up not eating much of my bounty. why? i don't have any particular answer.

there's a lot of good stuff in the box, and i should be eating it instead of buying lunch at work. my self-imposed challenge, then, is to feed myself at every meal from my good food box. we've got cantaloupe, carrots, tomatoes, bananas, cukes, zukes, cherries, onions, apples, lettuce, broccoli and celery. let's see what i end up having to compost out of all of this (my money's on the celery).

1 comment:

Jojo said...

mmm...celery!
Yeah, I should do that also...although the composter has never been so healthy - haha!