Tuesday, August 11, 2009

the refrigerator curse and playing dairy roulette

I'm in Sudbury working at a 2 day clinic put on by my department. This means that a team of us has been sent up here to provide in-person passport services to the good folk of the north, who would otherwise have to either send in their applications by mail or make the lengthy trek into one of our offices. We've just wrapped up day 1, and busy as it was, it was also pretty fun. The folks here are pretty relaxed and happy to see us, and us, we're happy to be here.

A few of us went out yesterday to Science North, and had a surprisingly good time. I'd thought it would be like a watered down version of the Ontario Science Centre, but it was it's own thing altogether, lots of hands-on stuff, live animals, even a butterfly garden. While messing around with a display of telephones, my boss called me (from a couple of phones away) and asked if my refrigerator was running. We all hee-hee'd about it, and then continued on our way.

After Science North we hit the grocery store and stocked up, I got cottage cheese, yogurt, fruit and a chicken salad, came back here and tossed them in the fridge. It wasn't until today, about 10 minutes before I was to start work, that I realized the fridge was not cold...it wasn't even working! The food was still cool, so I got some ice and put everything back in and ran off to work. During my dinner break, while noshing on my tepid salad covered with cottage cheese, I began to question the sanity of my meal choice, and abandoned the feeding halfway through. I'm now waiting to see if last week's recovery from food poisoning has left me with any special immunity to the refrigerator's revenge. (o please o please)

1 comment:

Scott Simpson said...

I'm no food scientist, but maybe you could introduce the yogurt to the other dairy products and have it all become yogurt? Or yoghourt?

I've heard good things about Science North, but never got there ... does Sudbury still look like the moon?

Have a safe trip!

PS -- your word verification form for comments always has very interesting jibberish for the secret word ... today it's "bionsses"!