Friday, December 19, 2008

ahh, snow!

Snow is good for the soul.   

I've just come in from shovelling, which I really enjoy. It's a good opportunity to be outside and feel productive and breathe deeply.  I admire the was one teensy weensy little fragile snowflake can, in cooperation of millions of its brethren, can bring a bustling city to a standstill.  The persistence of mother nature reminds us that for all our big heavy brains and clever technology, we're still at her mercy. I also spend this time pondering weighty issues :) The snow quality tonight has deteriorated a bit, it's mostly fluffy and too dry for snowmen, but easy to shovel.

We've gotten a load of Weather today--dry flakes of snow, big clumpy 3D snow, wet snow, powdery snow and wind.  The snow started when I got to work at 8, and I was all atwitter with glee as I watched the blizzardy winds swirl snow from the rooftops.  Finally around 9:30  I couldn't hold back any longer, and took off to do a snow assesment in the back alley, where I made two small snowpeople.  It was snowman snow! Perfectly crunchy, sticky, dense, packable snowman snow!  I left my two snowy sentinels to guard the door to the stairwell and went about my day.  By the time I departed for home, they were up to their little necks in about 5 inches of snow.  (these are snowmen 6 and 7 of 10000)

Looking forward to # 8 and beyond, we're expected to get 50 cm by Sunday night!


1 comment:

Scott Simpson said...

We were going to go out with the nephew yesterday in Stratford to make snowmen -- it was perfect snowman snow, after a huge piling-on of snow over the past coupla days ... but it was pouring rain, so we chickened out. Woulda been fun, though!